Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Green Tint Scallop Squash



 One of the new things that we tried out in our garden this year is this beautiful "Green Tint Scallop Squash." Isn't it wonderful looking? I love the shape of it, so decorative! I definitely want to grow more in the fall to put in with my other decorative gourds.







 I wasn't sure how to go about cutting up this wonderful patty pan squash, so I just went for it. The great thing about this squash is that it has tender skin, so no need to peel. I began by cutting it in half. I had no idea how big the seeds would be or what it would look like on the inside. Now, when you grow this you will have no need to wonder . . . here is what it looks like.
 I ended up just cutting it up into bit sized pieces. Then I sauteed it in a little bit of olive oil and garlic and some season salt. Well, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed.  As, I was eating it I kept thinking, "This is really bland." No one really cared for it, except my one year old and she ate almost the whole thing herself.

But, I didn't want to give up on this beautiful little squash. It is too delightful looking to not taste good, right?

I did a little bit of research and I read about someone grilling another type of scallop squash, I believe it was a yellow one. So I thought I would give it a try.

This time I cut up my squash a bit differently, not only to make it easier to grill, but to maintain is beautiful shape.



Here they are on the grill, brushed with olive oil and again seasoned with just season salt. (Jacob will tell you I am obsessed with season salt, but I can't help it, it is really good.)
The finished product. Don't they look delicious! Now, if only they taste as amazing as they look. 

We couldn't stop raving about it! It was so GOOD! We had this with hamburgers and I just kept wishing I hadn't eaten my hamburger so I could eat more squash. It was that Good.  So good in fact that several days later I browned up the leftovers in a pan and ate them up too. We will definitely be growing this again! And this my friends, is the way to cook them!

No comments: