Sunday, April 29, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

Mix together all ingredients.
 I have been making Granola Bars for several years now. I starting making my own as an effort to save money and even though that is still a contributing factor I now continue to do it as a way to make sure that my kids have more nutritious snacks.

This is a recipe that I have come up with over the years as I have put several different recipes together and tweaked them to my liking.  This recipe makes a really hearty granola bar that sticks together well.
Press into a 9x13. Bake at 325 until golden brown.


4 & 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2/3 Cup Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Honey
1/3 Cup packed Brown Sugar
2 Cups miniature Chocolate Chips or your choice of mix-ins (raisins, cranberries, sunflower seeds, etc.)

Preheat oven tho 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.  In a large mixing bowl combine the oats,
After cooling, cut into squares and wrap in saran wrap.
flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter, honey, and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups of chocolate chips. Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely, then cut into bars. Wrap each bar in saran wrap.

You can make these bars your own by adding your favorite mix-ins. You can also try substituting some of the butter with peanut butter or substituting some of the oats with rice crispies or another type of crunchy cereal. When I made these bars I used both white and semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus I added about 1/2 cup dry milk for a calcium boost- and 2 Tb. corn syrup, to make sure they wouldn't be too dry with the addition of the milk. They turned out great- very yummy!

No comments: