Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cereal Bars AKA Breakfast Bars

These bars are really good (my family LOVES them) and they are also very hearty and nutritious. They are a great alternative to a granola bar or a Poptart (much healthier than a Poptart). I personally feel much better about handing one of these to my child for a quick breakfast than a Poptart. I made these last week with the help of my 4 year old and they are already gone!  So I know you want the recipe, here it is:

8 Cups Cereal, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, etc.
1 Cup Dry Milk
1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
1/4 Cup Corn Syrup
1 Cup Peanut Butter
10 oz. Bag Mini Marshmallows
Seeds, Nuts, Raisins, Cranberries

In a large bowl combine cereal and dry milk; tossing to coat.
  
We used a combination of honey nut cheerios, plain cheerios, and multi-grain cheerios. But we usually throw in whatever we have. I often save the bottom of the bag of mini wheats to throw in to for extra fiber. Other good options would be Kix, Chex, Rice Krispies, etc. The dry milk gives you a calcium boost that you definitely won't find in a Poptart or store bought granola bar.




In a saucepan melt butter, corn syrup, peanut butter, and marshmallows. 


These are so easy to make - just like making rice krispy treats- only they are packed with nutrition.





When your marshmallow mixture is completely melted together pour it over the cereal mixture and stir to combine. Next stir in your raisins and other mix in items that you choose.

We used raisins and cranberries in ours. I love the chewiness and sweetness of the raisins. So yummy! You could also try a variety of nuts, sunflower seeds or mini chocolate chips.



Press the mixture into a lightly greased 9x13. Allow them to cool and then cut into bars.

After cutting into bars I like to wrap each bar individually in saran wrap so we have grab and go snacks or for a quick on the way to school breakfast. 

One of the things that I like about making my own snacks is that I can control the amount of sugar that goes into them. Plus they aren't loaded with preservatives. These bars do have sugar, but I know how much they have ( I am sure it is a lot less than a Poptart or store bought granola bar) and you can always change things up, like try substituting the corn syrup with honey.  There are lots of possibilities. The other plus to making homemade snacks is it saves you money and I know we all like to do that. Hope you enjoy these!

No comments: