Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chick A' Dee's

Chick Pea (Garbanzo Bean) Snack

My kids call these crunchy snacks "Chick A' Dee's", I guess that is what they hear when I say "Chick Peas". No matter what you call them they are a healthy and delicious snack that are very similar to corn nuts but a lot healthier.

Ingredients:
Cooked Chick Peas  AKA Garbanzo Beans -You can use canned if you want or cook up a bag of dried beans to make this snack very inexpensive.
1 -2 tablespoons olive oil
Desired Seasoning

I cooked my beans in the pressure cooker. Then I drained them and let them sit in the strainer for an hour or so to dry. You could also spread them out onto a towel to dry them. Once they are pretty well dry place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Coat them with olive oil. I used about 1 Tb. of olive oil for 1/2 lb. of beans (about 2 Cups of cooked beans). I just drizzle the oil over the beans and then use my hands to toss them until they are all thoroughly coated. Then season your chick peas as desired. My kids just like theirs salted. I use kosher salt.  My husband likes me to use a curry seasoning and I like Season Salt!  Be creative! Bake the Chick peas in a 425 degree oven for about an hour or two.  Just continue to watch them and toss them occasionally to keep them from burning. Cook them until they are crispy.  The ones on the outside get crispier faster than the ones on the inside so keep tossing them especially near the end of cooking time.  Do the 3 bean test to make sure they are all done to your desired crispiness. These are tasty! Enjoy!



No comments: